These easy homemade waffles are crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Slathered in Nutella with fresh fruits – feel like you’re back in the Magic Kingdom right now!
Sleepy Hollow Style Waffles
Who doesn’t love waffles?! Sweet or savoury, they’re so versatile! And the toppings! Seriously, my waffle maker has been one of my favourite investments so far this year!
This recipe is inspired by the Fresh Fruit Waffle Sandwich from Sleepy Hollow in Disney World. Sleepy Hollow is the place to be for sweet and savoury snacks in the Magic Kingdom. As well as these fruit & Nutella waffles they also serve Fried Chicken Waffle Sandwiches and Funnel Cakes as big as your head. Heaven.
Homemade Waffles with Nutella & Fresh Fruit
This recipe is super easy and makes perfect waffles – crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Unlike other waffle recipes, there’s no need to separate eggs or whisk egg whites. It’s just a simple case of mixing the dry ingredients, adding the liquids and stirring together. You don’t need any special equipment other than a mixing bowl, a spoon or whisk, and a waffle maker.
With these quantities, I can make 4 large waffles in my waffle maker* (recipe makes approx 500ml of mix) and the recipe can be easily doubled. You can freeze waffles too – keep a supply in the freezer for a quick breakfast or snack anytime!
In Sleepy Hollow, these waffles are served as a sandwich – perfect for eating while wandering around Cinderella Castle, but also potentially incredibly messy. At home, I prefer to eat my waffles with a knife and fork, but you can easily fold your homemade waffles with Nutella into a sandwich if you want to be really authentic!
Of course! This is a great basic waffle recipe – you can add any toppings you like!
Yes! Freeze them in a single layer on some parchment or baking paper. When fully frozen you can transfer them to a freezer safe food bag or container.
You can reheat them in the microwave, oven or toaster. You can also put them back in your waffle maker to re-crisp the outside.
If you’re making a big batch then the best method is to preheat your oven to a warm setting (about 100c/200f). Place cooked waffles on a wire cooling rack on top of a baking tray or cookie sheet in the oven. This allows the air to circulate and stops the waffles getting soggy.
I hope this recipe helps you bring a little Disney Magic home with you! Please leave me a comment if you try it, or tag me on Instagram @magicaleats_ – I would love to see your photos!
Got a favourite Disney Dish you’d love to see me recreate? Please get in touch!
Other recipes I think you will love:
- No-Bake Mango Pie with Shortbread Crust – Yak & Yeti Inspired
- Loaded Ranch Fries – Plaza Style
- Bacon Mac & Cheese Hot Dogs – Casey’s Corner Style
Homemade Waffles with Nutella & Fresh Fruit – Sleepy Hollow Style
- Waffle Maker
- 1 egg
- 50 grams Unsalted Butter, melted and slightly cooled
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp Caster Sugar
- 200 ml Milk
- 120 grams Plain Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 4 Generous spoonfuls of Nutella
- 2 Bananas, sliced
- 250 grams Strawberries, sliced 1 ¼ Cup
- 150 grams Blueberries ½ Cup
- Milk the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl and use your spoon to create a well in the centre.
- Mix together the egg, milk, melted butter and vanilla then pour into the dry ingredients. Let your butter cool down slightly before you mix it with the egg.
- Whisk everything together until just incorporated, and don't worry too much if you have a few lumps. Let the mix stand for 5 minutes while you chop your fruit and heat up the waffle maker.
- Heat your waffle maker (mine has a handy green light which lets me know when it's ready – check your device instructions) and spray with a little cooking oil.
- Pour the waffle mixture into the waffle maker and cook according to device instructions – mine has a green light which lets me know when the waffles are done. I find they usually take around 5 minutes, but this will depend on the size of your waffles and your waffle maker.
- When the waffles are cooked, top each one with a generous spoonful of Nutella and some fresh fruit. If you wish, you can fold the waffles in half to make a waffle sandwich just like at Sleepy Hollow!